The Client Company Profile
Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail (ABFRL) is a leading fashion retailer in India, with a large network of 2500+ brand retail stores spread across more than 700 cities across India.
The Problem Statement
ABFRL operates a central warehouse from where carton cases containing merchandise are shipped to the retail stores on a regular basis. As per their business requirement, all the shipments need to be weighed at the central warehouse before shipping. The conventional method of using a static weighing machine is:
- very labor-intensive
ABFRL approached Flexli for the development of an automated weighing system to replace their current strenuous operation. The main part of their inquiry was to reduce manual error and increase throughput.
Flexli’s Dynamic Weighing and Scanning (DWS) system was the perfect solution for the ABFRL carton weighing, which was powered by Flexli’s intelligent software to capture barcode and weight data and share data with the WMS.
DWS systems mainly consists of four parts:
- Infeed Conveyor
- Weighing Conveyor
- Outfeed Conveyor
The Process flow of the system:
- An operator places cartons one after the other on the Infeed Conveyor.
- The conveyor transfers the cartons to the Spacer which keeps the two consecutive cartons at a fixed distance. The Spacer also has a barcode scanner affixed to identify the parcel.
- After passing through the spacer, the parcels are moved to the Weighing conveyor, which records the weight of the carton accurately while in motion. The recorded weight is then stored in the database.
- The carton is then diverted to the Outfeed Conveyor from where it is then transferred to the dispatch area.
Note: Flexli does provide additional modules to measure the package dimensions automatically and a printer to print weight data on the carton.
- Increase in throughput: The throughput increased significantly with weight measurement of up to 1200 packages per hour
- Decrease in errors: As there is no manual step, there was a significant reduction in errors in measurement and recording of data in the system.
What Client has to say
“Flexli team has understood our objective of optimization in detail and given us solution addressing all our operations requirements. Most importantly they have an outstanding technical team which is capable of customizing requirements in line with operations. The quality of the product was absolutely phenomenal on par with international standards. I wish them all the very best for all future projects”– Mr. Sridhar Nunavat, GM, Madura F&L, Aditya Birla Group